Wednesday, April 1, 2009

No 8

Okay here are the updated shots on the latest build....

As you can see it's a wood box, not paper. (I think Kathy found this one at the cigar shop by her house. I really appreciate her getting these for me. I think it almost kills her to go into those
shops because of the smoke. Not to mention the fact that she is a nursing student that lost her (our) father to lung cancer. But she's a trooper and always comes up with nice boxes. Thanks sis....) Anyway back to the build, 4" cake pan with shower drain screen floating in the pan along with a floating bridge. One of the key points on my CBG's is that the bridge is floating. Owners are going to need to keep in mind the approximate location of the bridge when they change strings. If you want to dial it in totally just use your tuner. Tune the note open and then tune again, fretting at the 12th fret... unless you have perfect pitch. (In that case, CBG's may not be your cup of tea.) Remember these are lo-tech instruments that promote "close is good 'nuff"... The neck is 18 frets on a Padauk finger board with Maple fret markers and black position dots. I am very happy with this neck... The wood top gives this CBG a warm acoustic feel and it plays great...The action is low and really requires a controlled hand when you are playing slide. The back of the guitar features one of my favorite features - the 5 piece laminated neck; Mahogany, Black, Maple, Black and Mahogany. It is capped at the heal with Black and Spalted Maple.

I could not be happier with how the carving on the neck turned out... I think this neck is my best effort yet, very elegant and really nice to play. I will admit that the nut gave me trouble. I had to make two of them. The first one was a little short and created a buzz on the first couple of frets. Hey, for my money, I 'd rather make a new nut than file and polish frets.... One of the other nice touches on this fiddle is that the bridge is laminated like the neck and just looks great sitting proudly on the cover of this one-of-a-kind hand crafted Cigar Box Guitar....







No comments:

Post a Comment